Friday 23 March 2018

Queensbury to Bradshaw Long Route

Departing 0840 hrs via Soil Hell, Ogden Moor, Thornton Moor, Fly Flatts, Withens Ogden Res in a naughty Nw'ly blast. Mistakenly I thought it was Spring so off I yomped full of eagerness and anticipation; this was not the case half way round the journey.
Soil Hill had several singing Skylark with fewer Mipits present. A few Curlew were present on the moorland stretch up to TMR and c10 Go Back yer tw.. Red Grouse were seen.

2 large white and brown duck were on TMR close to a couple of Canada. Shelduck sprang to mind but the diagnosis wouldn't stand up to much interrogation as they were distant and the howling wind prevented steadying of ones binoculars. Then it was windy hell all the way up to Fly Flatts as I turned headlong into the bone numbing blast for 40 minutes.
At one stage I saw 3 walkers up by the Nab and thought what kind of raving imbecile would subject themselves to this meterological mayhem they should be locked up in a divs home 😀.

Fly Flatts was unworkable such was the intensity of the gale. I could see plenty of Canada but apart from a couple of kamikaze Mipits nothing else stirred. By the time I got to Withens it dawned on me that my physical dexterity was still present outweighing my mental athleticism by quite a margin.
3 Lapwing and a couple of Curlew were here abouts.
Ogden Res held a diminished number of gulls: 1 LBBG, 3 Common & 19 BHG. 6 Goosander were seen, conveniently split into 3 pairs.

I had the briefest of views of a Barn Owl which is always welcome but nothing can match the knowledge that drug dealing in the general area is going great guns. The roadside ditches along the Fly Flatts stretch were festooned with expired cannabis plants n roots n pretty brown berries.