Saturday 14 July 2018

Soil Hill to Mixenden

Another exasperating walk thanks to the lack of birds. Soil Hill had a Kestrel, 7/8 Skylark and the residue of Thursday's sizeable Meadow Pipit influx. However the 8 Curlew and large Lapwing flock from the week before have dwindled to nowt, nada, nichts, zilch.

I tried to reacquaint myself with the 4 Spotted Flycatcher from last week at Ogden Res to no avail. However I did manage to encounter the Siskin pair/family thanks to the racket they made.
A pale mantled large gull was in among the LBBG crowd on the water so I started to check on YLG features with difficulty as it remained at distance. The legs remained hidden so it was down to the primary wing mirrors and black tips; as much as it causes me great angst I have to conclude Herring Gull.

Across the golf course and track to Mixenden took me back to my desert days but without the sand. A Swallow and Meadow Pipit had the affrontery to permeate the clear blue skies.
There was no sign of Thursday's long staying f Goldeneye but this is understandable given the heathen hordes present, in fact they may be responsible for the loud shriek issued by the Moorhen.

Here is a pic of a mega I picked up, again on Thursday a personal tick to boot, a Turkey.

The Mixenden Gobbler