Friday 20 July 2018

Swillington Ings

Had a crack at the Black Tern for the third time this year and after half an hour within arrival I found it flying over Balance lake heading towards me.
There were plenty of Common Tern, probably the most I've ever had here.

Checking the mudflats at Astley lake a presumed distant Redshank morphed into a Black-tailed Godwit. I'm sure this is a site tick for moi.
Good numbers of Pochard were also seen here.

A walk round this very large site didn't turn up anything else spectacular but I do question myself at deeming 4 Little Egret as routine.
4 Kestrel together were having a squabble a family rift perhaps?

Reed Warblers were still creating, 2 WW & a Chiffchaff also. There were troops of Tufted Duck, cohorts of Coot, legions of Lapwing and Gadwall galore. A couple of Swift and a few Sand Martin don't quite complete the picture.