Monday 20 August 2018

Fly Flatts & Ogden Res

A WW calling from a bush in Queensbury High Street signified probable movement this morning and it turned out to be the case.

A pr Greenfinch were at Bradshaw, my first local for a while. Even better at Ogden was a chipping Crossbill in flight > SW.
c40 Meadow Pipit were thinly spread around the Withens and on the return leg a similar crowd of Goldfinch appeared as did DW who I hope had a worthwhile trip.

Fly Flatts 1040 hrs: Good views of a SEO quartering the area to the south but disappointment wader wise with the scrapes and shoreline there. This was due to a man wielding a very loud chainsaw and decimating the vegetation by the boathouse.
I was compensated with 1 each of Wheatear & Whinchat before I strode toward the N end mudflats.
The walk was worth it as I scanned the NE shoreline I picked up 3 Ringed Plover my first ever here and I think for 2018 too. The birds really turned it on after about 12 minutes as the flew directly over my head calling while heading W.
There was another "Peep" here but I never got to see it as it was in flight in the light rain. 2 Redshank size types were seen from the E top road but in silhouette so they too go unconfirmed. 2 Kestrel, ditto Curlew, 9 Tufted Duck & 5 BHG also seen plus a reprise from the SEO.

Ogden return leg proved rewarding and frustrating. 1 Green Woodpecker, ditto Tufted Duck, 7 Cormorant & the gull mix.
As I was walking halfway down the track after Boggart Brigg a loud song/subsong emanated from the mature trees which stopped me like a bullet. It went on for 5 minutes plus and I had all on to place it. I got on to Xeno Canto and I'm around 90% sure that Lesser Whitethroat is the nearest culprit but won't be recorded on Birdtrack as the bird didn't reveal itself.