Friday 31 May 2019

Queensbury To Horton Bank CP

Cross Lane area held a pr Lapwing, 1 Swallow, 5 House Martin, 3 singing Skylark & a couple of Meadow Pipit. Further down Bridge Lane a Whitethroat was singing.

Horton Bank Country Park was a revelation; the Car Park has been closed and the area has been cleaned up by the council. I haven't been for a while but I will be going back and not only for birds; there was only one dealer present and no sign of druggy detritus whatsoever.

I got a local tick here in the form of a Sedge Warbler singing loudly and continually. I also got a reet paggerin from a Mute Swan. After unwittingly walking near it's nest the Cob marched straight toward me and started lunging so I backed away. It nipped my leg and a reactionary flick of my foot which wasn't meant to connect saw him deftly duck to the left before delivering a neat peck on my right hand, my kind of fighter. Once I retreated onto the path the bird stayed put.

Also seen: 4 each Coot & Moorhen, 1 LBBG, 3 Canada, many Dullard. The bushes produced 1 Jay ditto Blackcap, 3 WW, 1 each Whitethroat, Chiffchaff & Garden Warbler plus a modicum of Blackbird.