Friday 1 September 2017

Queensbury to Mixenden

Not one of my best trips despite a promising start around Old Guy Road at 0925 hrs. 1 Wheatear also 1 each Kestrel & Sparrowhawk. I'll never know why 2 Crows chased the Sparrowhawk around yet left the Kestrel alone sitting quite unconcerned on a wall.



A couple Swallow and similar Meadow Pipit also present here.
Soil Hill a venue that has become of little value nowadays. (I bet I live to regret that remark). Couple Kestrel & Meadow Pipits.
Juv Moorhen, Jay and singing WW plus Goldcrests, Woodpigeons at Back Lane.
Ogden Res was like Boot Hill with water although I did get my first Treecreeper of 2017 here. A traipse up to GT produced 1 Red Grouse and a WW.

The golf course stretch: 3 WW, 1 Stonechat with a Green Woody further along Hunter Hill. It was here that I regret not looking around 360 degrees because some 40 minutes later DJS sent me a text about a pr Redstart. This would have been another annual but with no conviction whatsoever I'll say let's not be greedy.
Mixenden Res was abysmal; 2 each Dullards & BHG, 1 GSW.

PS 2100 hrs Tawny Owl flew over my head in Brighouse Road!