Wednesday 26 September 2018

Cuba September 25

Sept 25 Poor day that improved. The western mangrove turned up a Solitary Sandpiper and I managed some photos which showed some plumage variation from the eastern mangrove bird. A Magnificent Frigging Bird was harrasing Gulls & Terns. 1 Semi P Sandpiper and 2 Semi P Plover. 1 Double Crested Cormorant flew over from the sea, 1 Savannah & 15 House Sparrow, 10 GA Grackle, unid large raptor appeared within 40 seconds of me putting the optics away, 2 Gray Kingbird.
Eastern mangrove Solitary Sandpiper, pr Killdeer, 4 Savannah Sparrow.
Hotel grounds American Kestrel heard only.

I thought that the western mangrove may be worth a late afternoon visit and it turned out my luck was in. At 1635 hrs the tide was out, more areas were accessible and I could see waders creeping about apart from one that was perched on a single isolated old small mangrove root.
I got distracted from this by what I thought was a rare white phase Great Blue Heron at distance so I took some shots hoping to prove it was this and not Great White Egret. Then a BB/Gray Plover became photographable so I got a few in before concentrating on yonder perched wader.

The size of this bird was beyond that of the Wilsons Plover now in proximity and it was obviously a brutish sandpiper. Oh my word what a nice strongly barred well defined chest you have my little beauty; a Pectoral Sandpiper was on show!
This is only my second such sighting after a Spurn Pointer back in the mid 80s.

Also: 1 each Snowy Egret, Piping Plover, 2 Semi P Plover, Royal Tern close up fly past.