Saturday 18 January 2020

Raggalds to Mixenden Res

1030-1225 hrs. The Flood was iced over which explained why c12 Lapwing were over in a Roper Lane field.

Soil Hill: pr Raven on the Radio Mast platform and also Daniel B but like me he was on the deck.
While wading through the Ned Hill track I got a Buzzard overhead. On seeing my camera it flew directly toward the Sun, no doubt 'avin a larf.
A Pied Wagtail was in Coal Lane.

Ogden was alive with Homo Sapiens which kept birding mundane. Among the gulls were 3 Herring & 1 LBBG. I tried to turn a 4CY job into a Cachinnans, I couldn't even manage Michahellis.


I heard a two note Curlew like call overhead but because of the early date I have to consider a quirky dog whistle. Also 4 Moorhen, 1 each GSW & Jay.



A good crop of mixed Thrushes was at Hunter Hill bottom. Around 36 Redwing & 18 Fieldfare were flying around in a nervous manner.
Mixenden Res held 3 Goosander & 6 Goldeneye - 3 m & 3 f. 2 Cormorant & 1 Moorhen were swimming as were the many gulls. Among the latter were 9 large Laridae, however all were juvenile or immature phase and as time was of the essence I didn't try to split them.