Sunday 15 March 2020

Queensbury South Bonus

0940-1145 hrs the long route which provided a little drama and a rewarding area tick.
Littlemoor bog (aka park) wasn't over exciting but it did produce a large flock of Redwing with Starlings and a few Fieldfare thrown in. Also 2 Greenfinch, Chaffinches, 1 each Mistle & Song Thrush, 7 Blackbird, few Goldfinch & many Crows nearby.

The fields around the Cross Lane/Shaw Lane area held 2 singing Skylark, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Meadow Pipit & 4 Snipe.
Green Lane was very quiet but halfway up in the homeward direction a small brown job caught my attention. Instinct told me to forget Mipit and when the bins came up they were locked on to a female Stonechat! This is a significant sighting here; my records from Birdtrack show I haven't reported one in 20 Years.

1 Common Gull was the only bird of that ilk seen before the wind blew my hat off into the very boggy field at the top of Jackson Hill. I climbed over the wall to retrieve it and as I squelched and stumbled 2 more Snipe flushed and flew off.