Friday 13 March 2020

Soil Hill to Mixenden

1005-1255 hrs.
Soil Hill: 7 Skylark, 6 Meadow Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail. Moorhen on far bottom pond. My first RLP of the year flew from the top N slope. 1 Roe Deer.

Ogden: couple Curlew, Goldcrest, Kingfisher, Nuthatch,  Song Thrush, 3 Mistle Thrush. 4 Goosander; one female was really struggling to get a Perch down its gullet. This is a fish with a large spiny dorsal fin. Also GSW, Chaffinches, Blackbirds, small Gull contingent. 4 Roe Deer.



The rot set in on the Mixenden leg; apart from 10 Curlew including 8 in flight at Hunter Hill bottom there was just 1 Cormorant & small gulls on the reservoir (I don't count Dullards) with a Goldcrest not on it.


I found this catty pillar crawling up the path from Ogden promenade. I initially thought it was Oak Eggar Moth but I really don't know so it's off to peruse the online British Moths site.
You probably won't believe me but it was so big I had to use both hands to lift it onto the grass and I swear it growled at me a couple of times 😰