Wednesday 17 July 2024

Queensbury South After Soil Hill

Another rare opportunity to sit in the back yard this evening where I have been serenaded by a Song Thrush for the past hour. It did take a break for 15 minutes but I ain’t moaning. Contrast this morning when I wasn’t exactly jumping for joy at the roadkill Hedgehog I found in the road just a foot away from kerb safety.

Soil Hill was really poor for birds and it is a safety hazard with the dense vegetation covering the many ruts and gulleys that abound.
The highlight in fact was a moth a Lattice Heath. I saw this beauty a first for me but could only conclude the species after contacting DJS who sent photos - much appreciated Dave.
Birds were down to 3 Stock Stock Dove & a tetchy Whitethroat.

Gulls have increased at Ogden Water: 17 LBBG & 15 BHG. A Grey Heron on the W shore.
Mixenden had only 4 Swallow over the water but nothing on it.
I got lucky with the Barn Owls; one perched and one in flight.
Grand finale to the evening a Kestrel noisy and loud from t’mill roof.