Thursday 19 April 2018

Cuba Goodies Cont

Wed 18 April.
I thought I'd no option after lunch but to get back on it and hit the mangrove scene again. Turned out a good move; I got another lifer in flight but showing well and calling. It was a Double-striped Thicknee, call it a Cuban Stone Curlew to get the point across.
I viewed the Sandpipers again mentioned a few days back. There was a couple of Least Sands for comparison with them so I am now happy to say they are Semi-palmated.
After considering images and bird guides regarding this morning's Kingbird I am 100% certain it's a Giant. Not a lifer but most welcome.
Meanwhile my Canadian birding counterpart told me at dinner tonight she nailed a Cape May Warbler close to the hotel entrance so I shall be spending a bit of lurking time there in the am...
Thurs 19 April
I took one look at the bright blue sky at 0730 hrs and abandoned all thoughts of getting new species in the heat. Down at the mangroves breeding behaviour is rife with the YC Night Herons on the nest and an influx of Snowy Egret. There are 9 birds and one of them is really aggressive to other Herons. He even had a crack at the Great White which didn't bat an eyelid and just continued its usual stance.
I finally got reasonable shots of the SP Sandpipers. The bunch of SB Ani are still hanging and I managed some more Tanager and Vireo. Sad thing about the latter is they sing too much like our House Sparrow.
A photographer from Sheffield with just basic bird knowledge asked me to identify a bird for him. It was a very good shot of a  Belted kingfisher taken in the locality.  What a charming gentleman he is no wonder he's called Nigel.