Friday 20 April 2018

Hard Work Rewarded

Got After an indifferent Thursday, I initially thought today Friday 20 April was going to be similar but 2 new incomers saved the day. One a Cape May Warbler is a lifer while the other a Palm Warbler is a reaquaintence from Oct 2007.
I had another sighting of the Double-striped Thicknee, this time a more substantial one as the bird took off just to my left side and whizzed around a fairly close range giving good views.

23 Snowy Egret were in the mangroves just before breakfast but the majority moved on. A single Lesser Yellowlegs was seen as well as a few BW Stilt and the 'stones. There aren't any Redshank here so the job of early warning system goes to the Stilts. Once again the Killdeer pr were on the footpath almost at ones feet. The Northern Waterthrush put on a good show this morning after not being seen for a couple of days. Others today include YF Grassquit, BW Vireo, SB Ani, dozens of Northern Mockingbird, Grackles and the USA Kestrel of which I got a few photos.

Attention you two who read my blog. You can take tomorrow Saturday 21st off as I am on a day long trip down to the south of the island. I expect to be publishing some sort of drivel on Sunday before flying home on Monday so make the most of your free time.

PS At about 1515 hrs the skies greyed over, a breeze picked up and the temperature dropped so I got down to the swamp just for a change. This proved a good move as the birdlife had picked up as anticipated. A Greater Yellowlegs was busy feeding and a guy fresh in from Wigan pointed a bird on a nest; it was a Yellow Warbler. The male Common Yellowthroat gave cracking views and a couple of Grassquit and Vireo were flitting around. Piece de Resistance went to a pr of birds that created the loudest noise I've heard from a bog in years. 2 Clapper Rail were mating just in view among the vegetation below the bridge. I took about 16 shots of which 3 are acceptable.