Wednesday 11 April 2018

Cuba Again

Day 3 and down to the small wetland again near the beach. I intended to work the beach for a couple of hours in order to do a gull harvest but it soon became obvious the whole bad bunch had buggered off to their breeding grounds.

Needless to say I got a repeat of most of yesterday's birds but there were 3/4 newbies. The first a King Rail was walking in the vegetation just a few yards below the bridge I was gawping from, another lifer. Next up was a Neotropic Cormorant closely followed by a Greenshank then a Moorhen. Another lifer cropped up from the bushes, a little drab green and brown job which remains unidentified. Best I can do here is to lump as a warbler, one of many species in the wider area, it was too slim to be a vireo.
There were 3 dove sp. seen mainly in flight however a pr Common Ground Dove lingered for positive id. I got 4 of those swine Egret that don't come close enough to split from Little or Snowy. Along with a large dark raptor flying over my head in the hotel last night I've got more to lose sleep over.

Turnstone here behave just like UK birds i.e they clamour together just three or four yards from your plates of meat. The GA Grackles are the equivalent mischief makers to our Starlings. The restaurant staff wave a kind of swish at them when encountered. It didn't stop one this morning nicking a big gobful of scrambled egg and flying past my approving eyes.