Monday 16 April 2018

Same Old Cuba

It got hectic this morning (Mon 16th). Even breakfast was interrupted by a spectacular sight which demanded photographs. A Crested Caracara was perched on a wall just outside the entrance to the dining room. Should I mention it was attached to a rather long piece of rope? A much watered down lifer for sure but I'm happy.

I got a potential 3 lifers out of the session but talk about frustration in pinning them down; one even allowed good photos! One was the Vireo species again, mentioned recently. No.2 was a definite Tyrant Flycatcher sp. and the photo shot bird again looks akin to the TF family.
A definite new Warbler sp. that showed very well even though flitting around was a pair of Common Yellowthroat. I've seen these before but it's a thrill to get them after such a long absence.

The King Rail showed again if briefly and both YC Night & Green Heron put on a super show for the camera (pity the photographer ain't up to scratch).
I also was thankful for a Spotted Sandpiper to perch on a tree stump while being slightly dismayed at the Grackle gang now chaperoning 2 fledglings on the lawn.

After lunch I met a Canadian birder who gave me some detailed directions on where to go (most people do) in order to find another 3 Cuban species. The area isn't a million miles away so I reckon that's one for tomorrow morning. In turn I identified a lifer for her then disappointed her by telling her Moorhen is a common as muck bird in the UK. I am almost certain I got another lifer in the form of Clapper Rail, the voice being key in the id process.
Finally I worked out that the lifer I got good pics of wasn't a Tyrant Flycatcher but a still welcome Blue-gray Gnatcher. Nicee.