Thursday 12 April 2018

Cuba Episode III

Day 4 brings another Lifer if not two; I'll have to research further on the second bird. No.1 is Yellow-faced Grassquit an unpronounceable new world Finch species. There is also a Parrot to consider but that was a 1.5 second sight as it landed in a palm tree. A welcome newbie was Spotted Sandpiper which gave good views but was a bit far for the camera as the pics will reveal when/if I get time to publish them. Also new for this trip is a Mourning Dove a bird which I encountered in numbers on my first trip to a different part of this very large island. After lunch sights to memorize for the darker moments of 2018 are: A Cuban man taking a large raptor sp. for a walk on a lead in the hotel grounds! A Turkey Vulture flying toward me at approx 3 metres above my dome coupled with another TV being harassed by a GA Grackle everytime it flew. A Yellow-crowned Night Heron sunbathing in a tree with wings held upwards and lending itself to photographs. I'm on a sea trip tomorrow in search of whatever crops up, hopefully some new gull sp. I'll willingly settle for Laughing Gull as it was 10-1/2 years since my last.