Sunday 22 April 2018

Cuba Last Post

As expected the day long trip today Saturday 21st produced minimal birds from the coach but I did get a pleasant surprise in Santiago de  Cuba on arrival.
I know for a fact I acquired 2 lifers as we passed over a huge dam simply because I've not had a Swallow species here before (2 birds) nor a Martin, just the one. Determining which types is a different dish of rice n beans man, know what I'm saying?
I got a load of Snowy Egret from the coach and one definite Cattle Egret but I feel certain I got a couple more.
The big event bird was a huge Magnificent Fwiggit Bird seen twice flying from the harbour along the coast and then back. The only other seabird was a distant gull which was impossible to pick up any features from.
TBC on my final day Sun...
...22 April
That wind down feeling hit me and I was lacking enthusiasm this morning. Despite that I got another Warbler species and what a drab little bugger it was; this should require maximum input from my Birds of West Indies guide.
The Greater Yellowlegs was feeding in an industrial fashion and the 'stones must have been dealing big time down on the corner; I had to cough heavily in order to gain my not too quick sand viewpoint.
Bird of the session has to be Clapper Rail. There were 3 of them at one stage and I bet a few pairs of eardrums burst. Now I know why the expression is "...like the Clappers".
One of them came too close for many photos as it walked under the bridge beneath me, still I got a couple that pass the test.
I intend to make the most of my return to UK and after this experience and finally give up birdwatching altogether starting tomorrow.

PS The Warbler was a female American Redstart its distinctive tail pattern gave the game away. Nice to see one again after all these years.