Sunday 9 December 2018

Rare Queensbury Visitor Embarrasses Birder

I couldn't resist the clear skies this morning so despite my earlier promise to quit local birding, I set off around Queensbury South from approx 1005-1210 hrs. As a result I was hoisted by my own petard albeit with great satisfaction!
After trawling Littlemoor Park, I decided to survey the boggy corner of Cross Lane. Five minutes into the field, a medium sized wader took off from the edge of a patch of Willows. I got sight of it as it dropped down into a slightly more open area and immediately thought of an odd Redshank. As I was halfway through circling round to get a better view, the bird took flight again, this time with a very significant call before dropping down again in a far corner. It was a Ruff! I decided to leave the bird alone and departed the field; it must have been exhausted to have chosen such a small patch of localised tundra in which to to rest.



In Green Lane it was difficult to escape a pr of Buzzard flying around and above my head before they caught the attention of the local Crows. Even a Jackdaw flock decided to join in the fun and half-heartedly mob them at one stage. A Sparrowhawk was also doing the rounds at Corporal Lane.

Other birds encountered: Kestrel, pr Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Nuthatch, few Chaffinch & Goldfinch, 1 Greenfinch, 2 Bullfinch, 3 Blackbird ditto Pied Wagtail.