Thursday 20 July 2017

Swillington For Caspian Tern

Having had a poor run with local birding and since it's  been almost 30 years since my first and only sighting of CaspianTern, I motivated myself to visit Swillington Ings despite the rain. After all its a lot closer than Lake Skadar on the Montenegro/Albanian border.


Within 20 minutes of arrival and a good dosing of rain I was onto the cracker which although not close up was instantly recognizable. The distance and conditions weren't conducive for good photos but I managed a few of just about publishable shots.



I then went across to the other side of this large reserve and was rewarded once more with the Black Tern. Other players include Common Tern, Little Egret, Avocet, Reed & Sedge Warblers, Kestrel, several Swift and the multitude of water fowl.