Sunday 7 January 2018

Away Day Birds

I went to the coast, there was a high tide and strong winds; it was Ruff. Another birder asked me had I seen the large flock of Waders. I replied No I did Knot.
A novice birder said he wondered if it was possible to get scarce Larks here. I told him Shore in the affirmative.

My lady friend, both a Ships Carpenter and birder was smoothing down a Rail using Sandpiper. Being Green on this subject I asked her Is it Wood? The previous nights beer took it's toll and I belched, she shouted Oh You are Common!

The local butcher was preparing lots of kebabs on a Great Skua. Now and then he would lob a piece of fat on a hooked line into the nearby shellfish beds; he was an Oystercatcher. His wife was moving a rock off the beach, she was a Turnstone. I felt useless so I asked her if I could have a Tern. She replied It's OK but your Gull friend can help. I responded which the Black Headed? She retorted No! the Little.