Tuesday 9 October 2018

Queensbury to Mixenden

I'd lost track of how rubbish birding could be in the part of Calderdale I suffer in but I got a timely reminder early this morning. I'm sure the gusting SW'ly didn't help especially up Soil Hill at approx 0720 where there was just a Crow seen.

Ogden plantation gave some respite as I got a Woodcock in the open by the edge of some conifers; it soon flew off.
The reservoir is the lowest I've ever known it holding 1 Herring & c20 LBBG Gull plus several smaller sp.
There was some passerine movement; 1 Treecreeper and a few Coal & LT Tit plus a few Goldcrest & Chaffinch. Also 1 Jay seen.

The walk from Ogden promenade right up to and including Poxenden Res was the stuff of overworked tear ducts at a Val Doonican farewell concert in Wainstalls on a wet Tuesday evening.
4 Mipit, 1 Grey Wagtail ditto Tufted Duck, 2 Moorhen.