Monday 1 October 2018

Cuba October 1

Western Mangrove quiet but a pair of Belted Kingfisher certainly woke me up. Previously from the hotel balcony I got the Northern Flicker again before I had a memorable encounter with a Snake crossing a boardwalk through the undergrowth. I decided it was a harmless grass snake type because it was drab in appearance and was not sporting angry red yellow or black stripes. I got the camera going and got some pretty good close up shots before the critter did a cool slithering salsa into the vegetation 🤗.

Eastern Mangrove: I was met with a soaring Common Black Hawk but it didn't hang around too long. A few warblers were doing the rounds: 2 pr Common Yellowthroat, 1 Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1 distant Sedge Warblerish unid and another unknown. I flushed a rail type from 2 yards but it shot into the reeds. Also 4 Killdeer, Little Blue Heron, Savannah Sparrows.