Thursday 28 December 2017

Casual Review of 2017

Some Random thoughts from memories of this year without referral to records submitted on Birdtrack. There is no pattern e.g chronological order and being in probably the worst area for birding in the country no doubt the negatives will outweigh the positive 😁.

First thing that comes to mind is the paucity of Autumn/Winter migrants. Jack Snipe and Snow Bunting sightings have been dismal. I've not had the former this year and the only Snow Bunting was back in February. Soil Hell used to produce both but this venue is now overgrown and needs a good churning up on the top. Brambling and Waxwing are also on the No Show list, inspiring the thought that global factors are an issue rather than local ones. Whooper Swan numbers have been low so I count myself lucky to have seen 7 of them within the last month or so.

Spring migrants clanged big time; in previous years I've always managed Redstart and Wood Warbler but not this season. Spotted Flycatcher appearances have also been at an all time low.
Other missings include Merlin, Hobby & Short-eared Owl. On the other hand I'm happy with my tally of Barn, Little, Tawny & Long-eared Owl, Buzzard & Sparrowhawk.
Ring Ouzel is another bird that seemed to give Soil Hill a miss along with Whinchat. However both species appeared in the HX Golf Course and Hunter Hill area. This is where I also got my best Wheatear counts which again was down in numbers on the hill from hell.

Some good news now. I did get 8 Shelduck on Mixenden Res back in May, and a drake Pochard in the summer months. 3 Little Ringed Plover also showed up here on the same day that 3 Dotterel were in the Cold Edge area. An unusual record in June was a pr Pink-footed Goose and a loudly calling Turtle Dove at Ogden Res. Finally I just remembered that Woodcock showed better this year than in the previous two.

So, 2018 looms and along with it a resolution or three. Firstly I must try and do more local drinking and less birding. Secondly, I must do more birding in other more productive parts of the country and of course abroad. Thirdly, this year I must rid myself of this over positive attitude to birding in general 😎