Monday 11 December 2017

Queensbury and Low Moor

Another session in icy conditions and brilliant sunshine.
Just after seeing 20 Lapwing in the adjacent fields I bumped into a Shelf birder in Cross Lane. He mentioned he was looking for Brambling reported a day or so previously by a colleague. I spent a few minutes searching but couldn't even manage a Chaffinch. Pr Pied Wagtail on the return home.






Low Moor 1050-1225 hrs. Harold Park Lake coughed up many BH Gulls one of them sporting a Leg ring (White on Green) on the right limb and a metal ring on the left. I took a few pics and think I'll be able to discern the country of origin at least.
Others: 1 Herring & several Common Gull, 1 Goosander, c24 Tufted Duck plus the Coots, Moorhens & 4 Mute Swan.



Park Dam had another leg ringed Gull, this time a 1st Winter type LBBG. The ring was black on yellow Y:7? possibly Y:77 on the left leg, the right leg was unadorned. Once again I should be able to determine the country of origin. It looks as if I'm going to be busy tomorrow.



Others: 3 Cormorant, pr Mute Swan, 1,GC & 3 Little Grebe, 16 Tufted Duck, Coots, 7 Moorhen, 1 Goosander, several BH & Common Gulls, 1 Herring and another LBBG. Pr Great Tit,,1 GSW.
Blackbirds seen throughout.

PS The Yellow leg ringed gull ain't a LBBG as stated. I should have gone the other way, it's a HERRING and was ringed in York - details to follow.
I have given up on the BHG the vague details don't tie up with the ringing project codes.