Saturday 22 September 2018

Cuba September 21

Today consisted of two sessions am & pm. The morning session was at one stage overwhelming as I found myself unexpectedly surrounded by waders running round my feet down to 4 yards. Needless to say my camera was full to bursting with images but I forgot to bring a key cable with me so they stay on the disk until I can upload to a hard drive.
I got a wader that does not appear listed in Birds Of The West Indies but I fervently pray it's on Ebirds otherwise it's a rarities description job for Green Sandpiper!

Am birds: Semi-palmated Plover 2, Semi-palmated Sandpiper c30, ditto Least Sandpiper, 4 Sanderling, pr Killdeer, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Green Heron, c26 Savannah Sparrow, pr Buzzard types Red-tailed Hawk/Common Black Hawk refer photos. Pr Royal Tern, 3 Laughing Gull. 7 Smooth-billed Ani, check out 6 Cuban Blackbird against Grackle. 1 Great Blue Heron, 4 Snowy Egret, c16 Turkey Vulture. Pr White-winged Dove, 3 Common Ground Dove.

Pm birds: Belted Kingfisher, Great White Egret, Snowy Egret, Clapper Rail intent on shattering my ear drums. A pair of Tricoloured Heron in low flight, 9 Turkey Vulture, Antillean Grackle in Hotel Pestana lobby, Cuban Blackbirds/Grackles c8. 3 Northern Mockingbird, 4 Gray Kingbird but check Loggerhead for 1 of them. 1 Mourning Dove.

Both lists need confirming but I can say the Savannah Sparrow is a lifer and the Belted Kingfisher is only my second belter.