Saturday 22 September 2018

Cuba September 22

Down to the western mangrove this morning for a short but rewarding session with 3 newcomers to savour, two of which I haven't seen in 11 years. Piping Plover was the first with 3 birds being photographed. Next was single Wilsons Plover which again wasn't camera shy. 2 Black-bellied Plover were next; we know this as Grey Plover. One was distant, t'other was a nervous wreck so no shots possible.
7 Semi-palmated Plover & 4 Semi P Sandpiper were also doing the rounds.

A pr Reddish Egret gave a brief noisy display and I was going dizzy watching 14 Least Tern whizz round close by.
6 Bridled Tern were resting on the deck with another adult tern species which I have yet to determine; thankfully I got good images. I also managed 3 distant shots of one of the Royal Tern pair. Laughing Gulls were plentiful and other players were a few Turkey Vulture & a Gray Kingbird.

I'm hoping the USA migration will drop me off a few morsels in the next 3/4 days particularly the several warbler species that visit here.