Tuesday 29 September 2020

Local Habitat Loss

I ventured from Queensbury Sth to Horton Bank CP this am. With considerable regret I have to report that the boggy and scrubby field at the corner of Cross Lane has been managed at a level I wouldn't have thought possible 😭. Two thirds have had bushes and scrub removed and the ground levelled and ploughed, leaving a third with some shallow water and reeds still standing. I don't hold out any hope that this will last however. I decided not to search it as a piece of machinery is still present and I'm not up to upsetting the landowner who gave us permission to bird it some 7 years back.
The place was a stronghold for Snipe from late September into early March and holds 2 if not 3 records of Jack Snipe also. The crowning glory for me personally was on December 9th 2018 when I got 3 views and  heard calls from a Ruff.


Birds were scarce in the whole area: few BHG, Meadow Pipit, 1 Linnet ditto Pied Wagtail.


Horton Bank CP: 1 each Mute Swan & Grey Heron. 



Usual Coots & Moorhen and several BHG. A few large gulls were upstairs with 3 on the water incl. 1 Herring mercifully out of juvenile or 1CY plumage.



The only other bird worth a mention was a Phylloscopus warbler calling faintly from a tree top. Gone are the days when I could differentiate between the two common visitors unless the volume is up.