Thursday 10 September 2020

Wainstalls to Stod Fold via Cold Edge

A much more productive visit than my only other one up here in Spring which was disastrous.
Wainstalls 1025 hrs: 4 Moorhen in a field and a Buzzard circling overhead. 3 Pied Wagtail and a few Meadow Pipit.


Cold Edge Dams: 1 Little Grebe, 12 BHG, more Meadow Pipit, 1 Wren, 4 Stonechat, 2 Skylark ,c15 Goldfinch 1 noisy Red Grouse ordering me to go back. I was very happy to pick up a Whitethroat briefly in with the Stonechat as I believe it's the latest autumn bird I've recorded.



3 Blackbird were in the vicinity of the old wrecked farmhouse with more Meadow Pipit zipping about.
On the road down to Nolstar another 3 Pied Wagtail were seen with 4 more Skylark near the top of Hunter Hill. A Green Woodpecker was chortling.

The Linnet gang re-appeared with c45 birds being estimated. Swallows were again in double figures and 7/8 House Martin were active. I cut through the golf course rough in order to get to Stod Fold.


Just one Stonechat present but a Tawny Owl called from the trees.