Sunday 1 November 2020

From The Garden Reserve

 

Hi Nigel,



Yesterday I said that, based on sightings from the vis-mig sites, I didn't think there was much chance of Brambling in the garden and then today...a single bird.


I noticed a few postings back that you had Coal Tit in your garden. There seems to have been quite a movement of them during September. We had 83 one day and 97 another on our Huddersfield vis-mig site and Harden had an amazing 184 once. I wrote to Clive Mckay on Trek and he suggested that a "massive" spruce crop in the Scottish forests may have led to a particularly good winter survival and breeding season. We have more than usual in the garden with up to 7 at one of the feeders.


A Blackcap has been coming in since mid October. It was here on Friday, taking the last of the elderberries.

Denise

PS Thanks a bunch for this info Denise, great to hear from you again. I am impressed by the Blackcap photo but not for one minute am I envious, me? Nevah! 😭.