Wednesday 12 August 2020

Soil Hill to Mixenden Long Route

It was good to lose yesterday's beer through the pores at such a fast rate.



As the birds on the hill were down to 1 each Swallow, WW, Kestrel & Pheasant only, I opted to throw some extra moorland in.
Not the brightest of ideas as the heat kept birds down to 1 Red Grouse ditto Kestrel, 2 WW & a few Meadow Pipit. However I did manage my first Common Lizard in aeons.


Then I hit Ogden where matters escalated big time. 3 Cormorant, 2 GC Grebe, 4 Teal, 3 Herring, 1 Common, c71 LBB & c62 BH Gulls.



There was a lot of quick movement among the arboreal denizens, so much so I couldn't possibly identify all accurately. A noisy GSW was present for certain. 5 Siskin flew between the tree tops calling frequently.
 


The bottom end of the golf course was manic with c8 WW, 2 LTT, Goldfinches, Linnets, Tit sp. and the star of the day: Spotted Flycatcher. A male Stonechat graced the wall near the Mixenden Stile but there was absolute zero bird life after that.
I was invited to go for a swim in Mixenden Res but declined despite being already soaked to the skin.
The dangerous rubble from my previous visit has been removed from the footpath.