Saturday 13 June 2020

Be Satisfied With Your Lot

My previous blog sure caused some annoyance among a few birders from further afield.
Percival Grimble from Little Preening in Kent writes: 
You suggest that your area is the worst place to bird in the UK. Do you have any idea what it's like to get down to your local patch and see at least 8 different waders every day throughout the season? The monotony of clocking rarities every other day? The incessant phone calls from other birders informing of this and that and the other appearing 2 sometimes 3 miles down the road? It takes me 4 days to collate my annual tick list averaging 264 species, that's time lost from my other passion of playing Euphonium in the Xmas Houbara Bustard Brass Ensemble Appreciation Octet.

Fiona Mendez Bassethound-Fibula writes:
I hail from Brighton and would dig up my recently dead pet Wolf Spider to experience the birding treasures that a Northern Heathen like you fails to appreciate. Crested Lark, Woodlark, Hoopoe & Golden Oriole can take a running jump; I'd gladly trade them in for Skylark, Lapwing & Raven. I dream of Meadow Pipit, perhaps you could parcel some up and post them down to me?
Well Toodle-Pip, must go I think another damned Maribou Stork is worrying the Piranhas in my garden sauna.