Thursday 18 June 2020

Garden Tales Near and Far

Not being inclined or able to traipse around since Monday due other commitments. I've been hanging in the back yard until today; now it's raining I ain't going out there.
Highlight of the week was a Nuthatch on the 16th calling loudly for about 50 seconds from a tree over the back fence. This is a first in the 13 plus years I've been living here.
Generally it's been the Woodpigeon pair that eat the next door neighbours out of house and home. A couple of Wren, the male of which must be trying to contact his pal in Ozstrylia judging by the volume. The odd distant large gull flies over, a Blackbird sings on occasion and breeding Blue and or Great Tits make noise.

My cousin lives in a North Cornwall village and for the third successive year he has a pr Blackbird breed in his garden. The male has become tame; it perches on his window, chair or whatever and feeds on crumbs after meals have been finished. Recently his Mrs walked across the street to visit a neighbour and it followed her, the cheek of it 😲.

Just to really cheese me off, when I asked him how he's doing with House Martin, he nonchalantly replied there are 6 nests under the roof eaves. The best I can do is a couple or three have been flying over the back field this past few weeks.